Wilcock & Associates Insurance Services


Auto Insurance Coverage

What coverages do I need?
In case you're involved in an accident, auto insurance provides financial protection for you and your family. It pays for the damage and injuries caused by the accident and for repairing or replacing your vehicle if it is damaged or stolen.

State Requirements
In most states, you are required to carry auto liability insurance (or post a bond) and provide proof of insurance before you can license your vehicle or renew your driver's license. If you are caught driving without insurance, you may have to pay a large fine and have your driver's license suspended. Most states require drivers to carry minimum liability coverage. In many cases, the required minimum coverage may not be enough to pay for all the damages that result from an accident and the driver will have to pay the additional expenses out of pocket.

Fault or no-fault coverage
If you live in a no-fault state, your own insurance company pays for any loss or injuries to you, no matter who causes the accident. With no-fault, most claims can be settled quickly, without litigation over who's at fault. However, no-fault can limit your right to sue to recover damages. Individual states set the coverage and place limits on your rights to sue. In fault states, the person at fault in the accident or the insurance company pays. With a fault system, your right to sue is not restricted (nor is the other party's right to sue you). To find out what the regulations are in your state, contact your local Farmers agent.

Collision coverage pays for damage to your vehicle that results from a collision with another vehicle or object. Generally, the coverage reimburses you the amount needed to repair or replace your damaged vehicle, minus the deductible. This coverage is normally required if your vehicle is leased or if you have an outstanding loan on the vehicle.

Comprehensive coverage protects your investment in your vehicle by paying for losses resulting from fire, theft, falling objects, riots, storms, earthquakes, floods, collision with a bird or animal and other natural occurrences. Like Collision coverage, Comprehensive coverage generally includes a deductible. Comprehensive coverage is normally required if your vehicle is leased or if you have an outstanding loan on the vehicle.

The deductible is the amount of the loss you agree to pay or absorb in the event of a claim or accident. Let's say you have a $250 deductible. If you have a fender-bender, and the bodywork costs $1150, you will pay the deductible - $250, and your insurance company will pay the balance - $900. With auto insurance, deductible amounts typically range from $50 to $1,000 per claim. Choosing a higher deductible reduces the cost of your insurance.

Bodily Injury
Bodily Injury coverage pays for any person(s) injured or killed in an accident where you are at fault. Coverage includes medical expenses and lost wages. These coverage's are subject to the limits and conditions of your policy. Most states require drivers to carry Bodily Injury coverage.

Property Damage
In a collision where you are at fault, Property Damage covers your liability for damaging another person's personal property, such as an automobile, house or fence.

Medical Payments
This coverage pays medical bills and funeral expenses for you or a passenger injured while riding in your vehicle. Coverage extends to you or a family member when riding as a passenger in someone else's vehicle or when struck by a vehicle when on foot. Costs are covered up to the amount specified by the policy.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) pays a broader range of medical costs than does Medical Payments coverage. PIP covers lost wages and the replacement of the services of someone injured in an accident. Personal Injury coverage is generally required in states with no-fault and available in some other states.

Uninsured Motorist/Underinsured Motorist
Uninsured Motorist coverage protects you, members of your household and your passengers in an accident with a motorist who has no insurance or is underinsured. Uninsured Motorist protection also covers you if you're injured by a hit-and-run driver. The coverage also applies to you and the members of your household as pedestrians. Coverage includes payment of medical costs, lost wages and pain and suffering. It is required in many states. In some states or insurance policies, Underinsured Motorist protection is separate from Uninsured Motorist coverage.

Contact us if you have a specific quesion about types of auto coverage.

Call Today

Our Services

Life Insurance
Protect your family,
compare quotes, save!
Get insurance quote
Health Insurance
Get an instant quote
with major companies
Get insurance quote

Online Resources

2019 © Wilcock & Associates Insurance Services     PO Box 50580, Mesa, AZ 85208